- toast with applesauce
- oatmeal with dried fruit (raisins, apples, pears, etc.)
- pancakes with fruit topping
- leftovers or a freezer meal with salad
- Boca Chik’n pattie sandwich with veggies and hummus
- chipotle, corn and black bean stew with veggies and hummus
- Thai peanut and veggie lettuce rolls
- tacos and cooked vegetables
- Baked Cajun French fries and salad or veggies and hummus
Recipe Sources, Explanations and Tips
- If you need to eat breakfast in the car on the way to work, you can put applesauce in a glass and drink it. If you use more water or soymilk to make a thinner consistency of oatmeal, you can drink this also. Quick oats only take a couple of minutes to cook in the microwave and if you add your own sweeteners and flavorings it can be more healthy than buying the already flavored and sweetened packets. Rolled oats are less processed than quick oats, so if you have the time in the morning choose them. If you’re cooking your oatmeal on the stovetop, add the dried fruit towards the end of the cooking time to soften it.
- For the fruit topping on pancakes, you can use any frozen fruit you prefer. Take it out of the freezer and let it thaw while you are mixing up and cooking the pancakes. Two ways to save time when making pancakes: one, make ahead of time, freeze, and microwave or toast to heat them up and two, make your own dry pancake mix ahead of time, then just add water or soymilk and cook in the morning.
- Freezer meals refers to whatever I’ve made double of previously and frozen for later. Soups and breads freeze well. It is a good idea to label what you put in there. The other day I thought I pulled out a peach frozen fruit shake, but it was really leftover gravy from Thanksgiving. Labelling with the date also helps you to rotate your meals using the oldest first and minimizing freezer burn.
- chipotle, corn and black bean stew recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance
- Thai peanut and veggie lettuce rolls recipe from www.veganchef.com I’m trying this recipe this week. Hopefully it will turn out to be a good one.
- I’m using the Fantastic Foods brand taco mix made from textured vegetable or soy protein. There is a recipe for making tacos from tempeh in Vegan Vittles which would be a healthier alternative. I like broccoli for my cooked veggie side, but I may have cabbage left over from the lettuce rolls to use up.
- Baked Cajun French fries recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance