When cold weather sets in I start using more cooked foods, and more grains and beans. I feel warmer that way. 🙂
One of our favorite meals involves Lentil Soup, or as my son calls it, “favorite bean soup”.
Saute in extra virgin olive oil:
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (can use bouillon)
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup hulled barley (pearled barley can be used if that’s what you have)
- If your broth is not salted you’ll need to add salt to taste, probably 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons
Bring all ingredients to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and let simmer for 1 hour.
I would dress the salad with a mixture of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Fresh Lemon juice, Salt, and Pepper.
Rolls can either be purchased or made from scratch. If you purchase them be sure to read the ingredient label. Look for whole wheat flour (just wheat flour means white) or sprouted grains, unrefined sweeteners like molasses, honey, or raisin water, and a short ingredient list in general.